Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Confectionery - 1

The internet is a wondrous beast.  The home of trolling & lurking is also home to creativity, art, & fun.  When you find something cool, there's nothing better than sharing it, & this is when the internet is at its best.  So, I thought I'd start gathering up my favourite things of the week...basically, I have to do something with this candy-coated knowledge I collect.

These are the things that I think are great.  So great that I want to sing about them.




 STEVE MILLER VENN DIAGRAM
This is passing around the internet faster than Willie Nelson can pass his joint to Snoop Dogg.  And rightfully so.

Yes, Jack Nicholson should be a Joker, but it doesn't make this any less wonderful.





8-BIT GAME OF THRONES
I recently discovered this video of Game of Thrones as an 8-bit RPG game.  It's a little old, but I just found it, so it's new to me, damnit.  DO NOT WATCH if you haven't read/watched Game of Thrones.  If you haven't, what's your problem?  Don't like awesomeness?







 #JUNKRAVENS
Another one for Game of Thrones fans, this hashtag on twitter is what makes twitter so wonderful.  On Thursday, the very funny @bazecraze tweeted: "Game of Thrones would be more realistic if people were constantly throwing out junk ravens."  By the afternoon, that tweet had spawned the hashtag #JunkRavens, which when searched, led you to the kind of junk mail that Westeros would be plagued with.  My favourite is from @mariancall: "I am a queen in exile in the East I am owed a kingdom but need some cash & ships up front dear friend can you help".  If you're a fan, check it out.  Lots of clever people out there.





JOEL KINNAMAN
My husband & I say one thing after every episode of AMC's The Killing: Holder is the best part.  I kind of hope they never find out who murdered Rosie Larson, because I want to keep watching him.  Swedish actor Joel Kinnaman plays the greasy Detective Stephen Holder, struggling with an addiction to hoodies among other things.  He is all gangsta talk with a heart of gold, & provides a tiny bit of comic relief to this dark, depressing show.  After last Sunday's episode, I wanted to find out more about him & I was shocked.  He went from this guy:




to this guy:




It could be that he's calling for all kids to drop out of school & shoot up in the streets.  I don't know, but when I stop swooning, I'm going to agree with whatever he said.  100%.  He is going to be the next Robocop in the upcoming remake, & yes, I will be there.






CHILD'S OWN STUDIO
This is so crazy cool, I can't help but be very, very excited about it.  Child's Own Studio is a place where you can have your child's drawing turned into a stuffed animal.  Check out these amazing examples: 


I'm going through my son's drawings to choose which one to immortalize in fabric & stuffing:

His interpretation of Garfield, perhaps?
A giant cross-eyed robot with braces?
EVERY SINGLE GUY IN THIS DRAWING?






FLOG
This is actually my favourite thing of the past month, & it is what inspired me to start this Confectionery series of blogs: Felicia Day's YouTube show, FLOG.  Felicia Day is a heroine for many a nerdy girl.  She is a smart, sexy gamer chick.  Bonus points for being a redhead!  And she was in Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog, for Joss-sakes!  If anyone ever plays a hotter, less-socially awkward version of myself in a movie, please let it be her.

My son just walked by & thought this was me.  He gets ice cream.

New FLOGs come out every Monday, & they are delightful.  Felicia shares her favourite things of the week, goes on a learning adventure/excursion of some sort (sometimes she just plays a retro video game, & yes, it is as awesome as it sounds), & answers fan letters.

Felicia presents her Fave Five list in her show, but I will most likely be keeping this in written form...I've only made this one vlog, for an assignment.  Hopefully, you'll find it charming, but I think we can all agree that the best parts involved Kai.


...so, yeah...not quite as professional as my favourite episode of FLOG so far, where Felicia learns about Steampunk, & creates backstories for each costume she tries on:


She is adorable & I love her, so watch the show, & subscribe to her YouTube channel, Geek & Sundry.





SOMEBODY THAT I USED TO KNOW
Wait!  I know you're sick of this song, but just in case you missed the kick-ass a capella version posted a few months ago by the ridiculously-talented group Pentatonix, I had to share it.  It is my favourite version of this song, over the original AND the 1 guitar version, & the hundreds of other times this song has been covered.  Yes, I'm sick of the song, but I'm not sick of watching these guys sing it.  I still listen to it a few times a week, & like to watch it several times, to give my attention to each part individually.  Because I'm a music nerd who likes to have my mind blown by awesomeness.



Those were my favourite internet sweets of the past week.  Come back next week for more goodies!

No comments: