Monday, July 30, 2012

The Confectionery - 10

These are the things that I think are great.  So great that I want to sing about them.



OLYMPIC MEMES
I am a sucker for The Olympics, including the Opening Ceremonies.  Any large production that begins with various a capella children's choirs is pretty much tailor-made for me.  Here are 3 of my favourite memes that popped up after the Opening Ceremonies had aired.





For photos with hilarious captions, check out this Macleans article written by Scott Feschuk, author of the Canadian 50 Shades of Eh.  Follow him on twitter for the best Olympics commentary I've seen yet: @scottfeschuk.



ROWAN ATKINSON
While we're on the Opening Ceremony, let's talk a moment about the highlight, shall we?  While I absolutely love that there was a children's literature section (& I had no idea that a hospital was completely funded by the proceeds from Peter Pan, did you?), I found it difficult to swallow.  Spoonful of sugar or not, Voldemort would have SMOKED Mary Poppins in a battle.  The real highlight of the ceremony was Rowan Atkinson's appearance.  When they announced an orchestral performance of Chariots of Fire, I was ready to start crying for the 23rd time since the ceremonies began.  How wrong I was.  


The video isn't on YouTube - we all know how strict the IOC is about these things, but for the time being, you can watch it here.  My son has watched it numerous times now, & spent his Saturday morning watching Mr. Bean clips on YouTube.  Judging by my twitter feed, my son was not the only child enchanted by his performance.  It seems Rowan Atkinson has just gained an entire generation of new fans.





THE LEAP 

Remember how cool those virtual screens in Minority Report looked?  Tom Cruise could flip, rotate, enlarge, cleanse thetans*, zoom in, discard, & do basically anything with a few flicks of his wrist.  A company called Leap Motion has brought us one step closer to being able to do that. 


To read more, & see an in-depth demonstration by CTO David Holz, go here.
*thetan cleansing only available to Scientologists.





I WANT TO DRAW A CAT FOR YOU
THE most bizarre gift I received for my Birthday this year was this drawing, commissioned by my brother & his wife:

Apparently, they saw this guy's video, & thought "Random internet cat drawing?  That is so Lisa."  They know me so well - they also got me this awesome octopus mug.  It was a strange birthday. 


You can order a cat drawing & look at Steve's gallery here.
While I love the weirdness & randomness of my Game of Thrones cat, specially commissioned just for me, I honestly cannot believe this guy has drawn (as of now) 7545 cat pictures at $10 each.  He has made $75,450.  From cat drawings.  I applaud his entrepreneurial spirit (Mark Cuban is an investor in this!) & I love my silly Game of Thrones cat, but I can't help feeling WTF about it.  Also, it did not escape my son that this cat has a human nose & no whiskers, so he drew this for me & then demanded $10.  Thanks.







THE IRONMAN THRONE
Keeping with the Game of Thrones theme, this is just so good.  We're used to seeing Ned Stark on the Iron Throne:

Now we have Tony Stark on The Ironman Throne:


You can order the print from the artist, Eos Victor, here.


Those were my favourite internet sweets of the past week.  Come back next week for more goodies!

No comments: